It’s expensive and you want to keep your carpet looking new as long as possible.
So here’s how you do it.
The best way to keep your carpet looking clean and new is using preventative measures.
So what causes carpet damage?
Whatever your guarantee on your carpet, wear and tear over time can make any of them look dirty and ragged.
Your biggest contributor to damage is your foot traffic. The more of this your carpet is exposed to, the more oils, dirt, and compression it will endure (staircase stairs are a good example). Which wears them out quicker.
Rugs and carpet runners can shield your carpet to some extent. Putting furniture over rugs can also mitigate furniture dents that occur in carpet. A good, heavy underlay can also ease carpet distressing.
With that in mind, here are 8 things you can do today to keep your carpet looking new and clean.
- Take care of spills immediately: even if you don’t think a liquid will stain, even the most innocuous liquid could leave a mark if left alone for too long.
- Deep cleaning: hire a professional to clean your carpets every now and then. They have high-performance and high-power machines and chemicals that can really break down stains and clean your carpet.
- Take care of stains: If you do have a stain on your hands, then there are a couple ways you can take care of it yourself. Most of the time, stain removers you buy at the store can lift your common stains. Read the label carefully. If you use too much or leave them on too long they may damage your carpet. If it’s an organic stain (such as from food) you can use cold water and detergent to get it out. Get as much of the water as you can, leave it to dry, then put baking soda over it. Let it sit (preferably overnight) then vacuum it up.
- Keep club soda handy: it will become your best friend. Many stains can be removed with some club soda and a washcloth.
- Use carpet sprays: if pollen, skin cells, dander, etc have built up in your carpet, it may start to smell. Using air fresheners and carpet sprays can eliminate the odors until you can hire someone to professionally clean your carpets.
- Keep your shoes off: kick your shoes off at the door. This is a MAJOR part of keeping your carpet looking new. Shoes track in all sorts of grime, grease, and dirt; and they’re going to make your carpet looker dirtier and older.
- Vacuum regularly: Dirt is abrasive and it will wear carpet down so be sure to run a vacuum over high traffic areas a couple times a week.
- Trim snags: If your carpet has a snag, trim it to keep it from running and ruining your carpet. It also just looks nicer and will keep your carpet looking new.
Need a flooring professional? Use Home Professionals’ pro finder below to get connected to free quotes and the best pros in your area.