Don’t spend money on a pro if you don’t have to. Try these plumbing hacks instead!
Sure, there are times when hiring a pro is actually going to save you money and stress. But certain situation can save you money if you DIY.
A plumbing hack may save you quite a bit of money.
Plumbing Hacks You’ll Love #1: Unclog A Drain
This isn’t hard at all. Plugged drains are a common household issue, and you should definitely try to unplug them before you call in a professional.
Don’t go for the harsh chemicals that ruin your pipes and the environment. Instead reach for the baking soda and vinegar!
- Prepare very hot water and pour it down your clogged drain.
- Pour about ½ cup of baking soda into the drain.
- Mix 1 cup vinegar with 1 cup hot water. Pour the mix down your clogged drain.
- Let the mix do the work to loosen the clog for about 10 minutes.
- Follow up with pouring warm water to clean the cleaning reaction away.
If this highly-effective treatment doesn’t work, you may have a bigger problem. In this case you will probably want to call in a professional to locate the clog and fix it.
Plumbing Hacks You’ll Love #2: Unjam Your Garbage Disposal
When your disposal makes that humming sound and doesn’t grind, that means it’s jammed.
Unjam it with this easy fix before you start looking for a plumber.
- Unplug your garbage disposal. You don’t want it to have a chance to turn on while you’re in there.
- Grab a ¼ in. hex wrench.
- Look at the bottom of your disposal. There should be a hex-shaped hole you’re going to use your wrench to force it back and forth a few times. This should help free up the blades of the disposal.
Plumbing Hacks You’ll Love #3: Unclog A Toilet
The plunger is the most obvious answer to a clogged toilet. But sometimes it may not seem like it’s working or it is taking way too long.
You can help yourself along with this plumbing hack treatment.
- Stop flowing water. You can do this by lifting the lid to the back of the toilet and turn water off at the valve. Simply follow the chain down to the plug and force the plug closed. This will force stop the tank from filling the toilet. The water back here is clean, so don’t worry about that.
- Fill a bucket with really hot water. Generally, the hotter the better.
- Pour the water into the clogged toilet. The heat will help break down the blockage for easier clearance.
- If it’s still presenting a challenge, add soap or shampoo to the water. This will help break down the blockage even more.
You should be able to clear the plugged toilet with this method and/or a plunger. If you can’t, you definitely want to call in a professional, as there may be something soap/water and a plunger can’t get out.
Plumbing Hacks You’ll Love #4: Fix Low-Pressure Shower head
Low pressure shower heads are so annoying. This plumbing hack is going to help you out.
Thankfully it’s an easy fix.
- Turn off your water.
- Unscrew the shower head.
- Soak the spray plate in descaling solution such as white vinegar (usually about three hours is enough).
- Reattach the plate, turn on the water, and enjoy better water pressure.
Have plumbing problems you can’t fix? Before you break out the plumbing hacks DIY kit, make sure you don’t have a bigger problem on your hands. Contact your plumber for some help. Then you can figure out if you can handle the project yourself.
Get connected to the best plumbing professionals near you today.