It’s important to clean your roof.
Toys, branches, leaves, squirrels, birds, plants, bad weather…
All of it takes a toll on your roof.
And how your roof look can greatly affect your homes curb value and aesthetic appeal. But more importantly, over time it can actually damage your roof which can then lead to large financial fixes if they’re not taken care of quickly.
Luckily, it’s easy and quite affordable to clean your roof.
And you’ll save lots of money in the future from taking care of your roof today.
Why You Want To Clean Your Roof
- Removes years of buildup if done professionally
- Remove black streaks on asphalt shingles (caused by algae growth)
- Removes dirt, moss, debris, gunk, nests, and pests
- Removes animal droppings
- Enhances the appearance of your home
- Increases curb appeal and the value of your home
- Protects your home investment from big future damages
- Saves you money when you keep on top of it and clean your roof often
- Protects your roof from erosion
- Keeps gutter cleaner which can protect against bad water damage
- Protects against leaks which can cause expensive water damage if left unfixed
- Prevents many different pest problems
- Looks nice
- Affordable and extremely worth it
Some Things To Expect When You Clean Your Roof
- Once you clean your roof, get a professional roof inspection. A roofing pro can help you fix any little issues before they become big, expensive issues.
- If you haven’t tended to your roof in a while, you may have more extensive damage that must be taken care of. Don’t wait to fix it since waiting will cause even more expensive repairs
- A major part of caring for a roof is preventing water damage. Keep on top of yearly inspections and inspections after storms to make sure your roof is in good repair
- Keeping your gutters cleaned is an important part of preventing water damage and pests in your roof
- Water pressure washing can cause water damage if done incorrectly (such as being pointed the wrong direction). It can also tear off, shatter, and damage shingles, gutters, flashing, and sealant. Almost no roofing contractor worth their salt will use a water pressure wash to clean your roof
- Roofing pros use softwash applicators to clean your roof and special cleaning solutions to remove stains and build up
- Roof cleaning pros will also use small tools to scrape buildup away. You should exercise caution that you don’t damage your roof if you try this yourself
- Every roofing material needs cleanup
What You Need To Know About Finding A Roof Cleaning Pro
- Compare quotes
- Read customer reviews
- Ask to see credentials and insurance
- Ask about warranties/guarantees
- If a contractor quotes you an insanely good price, be suspicious and double check insurance, reviews, and business permanence
- A roof cleaner should inspect your roof before giving you a contract to sign. Otherwise there’s no way to accurately quote the job officially since every roof is different
- Ask for a schedule and list of fees before they begin work
- If your roof is very dirty it may cost more and take more time
- If your roof is hard to access or very steep it may cost more
What It Costs To Get Your Roof Cleaned
- Always get and compare several quotes from different local companies
- Several different things influence roof cleaning costs–location, weather, buildup, years since cleaning, how much organic growth there is, how much water damage you have, how damaged your roof is, how long the job will take, how difficult your roof is to access, etc.
- Cleaning your roof is affordable and worth it. Especially when compared to the risks and costs that come with neglecting your roof
- Cleaning your roof is almost always cheaper than a repair and absolutely more affordable than getting a new roof
- If you’re selling, a clean roof increases your curb value and aesthetic
- A clean roof makes your house look newer
- The average cost is somewhere between $400-$700 depending on the job
- Use a pro/quote finder (such as Home Professional’s free-to-use one below) to instantly compare quotes and find the best pros and deals in your area
Need help finding a roofing pro and comparing quotes? Don’t have time?
Home Professional’s free quote-finder connects homeowners to their best local pros and deals. It makes finding the right professional for you super easy and fast. Get the help you need today.