To do or not to do…to vaguely reference a famous poet who touched on so many deep, human questions. And speaking of deep questions, you’ve probably been stewing over whether you should install/repair your own roof or use a professional.
Just a guess.
Both are possible, and could be good choices depending on your personal experience, knowledge, and budget.
Here are a few things to consider before you make your final decision.
DIY—I Have The Know Hows
Doing your roofing yourself means you can do it on your own time, and you can save money (actually quite a bit of money). Awesome!
There are a lot of “how-to” websites and YouTube videos you can look up for simple repairs. Simple repairs are usually a DIY project.
Here are some reasons you might want to DIY:
- You’re a professional yourself, and you know what you’re doing
- You want to do a lot of research yourself/make it a learning experience
- You’ve had the integrity of your roof checked recently
- The repairs are simple (like replacing a couple shingles)
- The shingles are simple materials
- The roof isn’t too steep or dangerous
- The weather is sunny and the roof isn’t slick/doesn’t have ice or snow on it
But roofing isn’t as easy as hammering a few shingles onto some wood. You might even save money by hiring a professional if you end up damaging your materials/roof (or even yourself) or don’t catch issues before they become big problems (like unseen leaks). You can also save money through warranties on your roof which you can get through roofing professionals.
Though there are some roofing projects you can definitely DIY if you take the right precautions, there are many more roofing projects that should really be left to professionals.
Professional—Save Time And Be Safe
If you’ve got a roofing project you’re not feeling totally confident on, you might want to consider getting a professional.
Hiring a professional does cost more initially, but it might save you money in the long run with warranties and proper installation/repair.
Here are some good reasons to hire a professional roofer:
- You want to be safe
- The roof is too steep or slick
- You don’t have much knowledge or experience
- You haven’t had your roof checked in a while—you might have structural damage or problems you can’t see on the surface
- Professionals have the knowledge to keep safe and extend the life of your roof. With a trained eye they can see important things like premature aging of shingles, rot, improper ventilation, future leaks, and much more
- They have insurance and warranties—if problems arise, you have materials and labor covered
- You want to save time and just have someone else do it faster
What matters is that you stay safe and are pleased with the results. If that’s DIY for you after your considerations, then do your research and be cautious. If a professional is the right way for you, then do your research to hire your best roofing expert.
Need a quote on roofing professionals near you? Let Home Professionals help you find the best deals and experts today.